moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

TBR Thursday #7

Well, this is a reconstruction of the post that I previously lost yesterday, when I actually thought it was Thursday. It was only Wednesday, which brought a whole NEW level of disappointment to things!

Anyway, I decided to do something a little different with this post! I'm going to do an inbox and an outbox section. Inbox: books I bought. Outbox: books I read.

Inbox:

Five new books were added to the TBR pile. Of these, Jackaby is the one about which I am most delighted. This book is so much in my wheelhouse, it might as well have been written for me! A quote from the blurb:

"Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings."

A review of this one came up on my wordpress feed a few days ago, and only strengthened my overwhelming desire to read this book. I am waiting to finish The Haunting of Hill House before I start this one, but it is next up.

The Infinite Sea is book 2 of Rick Yancey's Fifth Wave series. I had mixed emotions about The Fifth Wave - I enjoyed it, but there was a bit too much mooning about by the main character. Also, it showed a strong trend in the direction of a DLT. If that happens, I'll probably abandon the series.

I'll Give You the Sun looks Rainbow-Rowell-John-Green-ish. This could be good. Or it could be annoying. We'll see.

Falls the Shadow sold me with this line from the blurb:

"When Cate Benson was a kid, her sister, Violet, died. Two hours after the funeral, Cate’s family picked up Violet’s replacement. Like nothing had happened. "

Hell yeah.

Finally, Blackbird is just plain promising. Although I hear that there are sections in the second person POV. Which could be great, could be awful, or could be weird. Maybe all three, at different times?

Outbox:

I had a fantastic reading week!

I finished Blood of my Blood, which was the final book in Barry Lyga's Jasper Dent series. Review is here.

I did a reread of the entire Shadowfell Series, finishing with The Caller, which I enjoyed. Series reread post here, review of The Caller here.

I read Monica McCarty's 7th Highland Guard book, The Raider. I haven't reviewed it, and am not sure if I will. I enjoyed it, but there just isn't that much left for me to say about the series.

I picked up Kevin Hearn's Iron Druid series, and read books 2 & 3, Hexed and Hammered. This series is very enjoyable. There will probably be a post at some point.

So, that's a 7 book week (although 2 were re-reads)? Not bad, although nothing in there that is particularly substantive!