moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

September #BookadayUK - Day 3

The Shell Seekers - Rosamunde Pilcher Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942 (Bloomsbury Group) - Joyce Dennys Few Eggs and No Oranges: The Diaries of Vere Hodgson 1940-45 - Vere Hodgson, Jenny Hartley

Books I have read:

I read The Shell Seekers no less than two decades ago, and fell in love with Rosamunde Pilcher's story of Penelope Keeling. There are two story lines - Penelope as an elderly woman, taking a trip to her childhood home in Cornwall, and Penelope as a young woman who lived through World War II. It is really the historical timeline that is my favorite, but Penelope is a delightful character at all of her ages.

Henrietta's War was a recent find, and I read it in January. It was delightful, a wry look at life on the home front during WWII. It is very British stiff-upper-lip humor, and is lovely in its way.

A book I want to read:

Few Eggs and No Oranges by Vere Hodgson is not a book I have read, but I have eyed it and will, at some point, buy a copy from the Book Depository. It is rather hard to find here in the U.S., since it is a Persephone Books edition, published in the UK. But it looks fantastic.