moonlightreader

Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

The Riddle by Alison Croggon: Master Post

The Riddle  - Alison Croggon

Status Updates:

This is the second in Croggon's epic fantasy The Books of Pellinor. There are obvious homages to Tolkien's masterworks. The world of Pellinor shares commonalities with Middle Earth, but it is not a cheap copy of Tolkien. She has taken care to develop an extensive mythology for Pellinor, similar in idea of The Silmarillion, but quite different in execution.

Done. Review forthcoming.

91%

"Love is one of the truest mysteries," he said, at last. "The truest and deepest of them all. One thing Maerad: to love is never wrong. It may be disastrous, it may never be possible, it may be the deepest agony. But it is never wrong."

80%

I got totally sucked into this book last night, which is woohoo, because with all the dramalamaramadingdong on GR, I've had a hard time concentrating on actually reading. So, I made it to 80% and desperately wanted to finish, but I really needed to sleep!

So much going on in this book. Maerad is really suffering and struggling. Cadvan is absent, possibly permanently. The Winterking is fascinating - very morally ambiguous. And the three sides of Maerad seem to be in a pitched battle with one another as her elemental aspect seems to be gaining in predominance. It feels like we are climbing a hill, but I don't get the sense that the climactic events will take place in this book.

I know that book 3 focuses on Maerad's brother. I am not particularly excited about changing from Maerad's narrative to Hem's narrative. But, I am interested to see where the story goes next.

30%

Stormdog lullabye. This book is so good! I need to spend less time obscessing over GR and more time reading this book!

23%

Maerad just magically turned a bad guy into a rabbit. A mangy rabbit. Hee hee.

I am at 20% of the second book, and at least one of the creation myths has just been revealed.