moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Lawyer, mother, avid reader. Bingo host extraordinaire! Partner in crime to Obsidian Black Plague! My bookish weaknesses include classics, fantasy, YA, and agreeing to read more books than is even remotely possible.

Victoria Schwab is a new favorite author

The Archived - Victoria Schwab

I've read two books by her - A Darker Shade of Magic, which I loved (sequel comes out in February) - and this one, which, as you can see by my star rating, I also loved.

This book has an interesting premise, with the Archive being a place that exists in a different world, and Histories being flesh and blood echoes of the dead. Something is going on in the Archive, and Mackenzie, a young keeper, finds herself smack in the middle of it.

I really can't decide what genre to call this book. A bit urban fantasy, but without vampires or shifters or the usual trappings of UF, a bit of a mystery.

Mac is a great character, as is Wesley, her love interest in guyliner. There is a sequel, but this book stands alone with a complete resolution. It's a quick, fun YA fantasy that I highly recommend.