moonlightreader

Andrea Wulf
Progress: 40/496 pages

Meet the Austins by Madeleine L'Engle

Meet the Austins  - Madeleine L'Engle

Written in episodic form, this is the introduction to L'Engle's second favorite family, the Austins. Unlike many of her books, this one has no science fiction elements. It is the story of a family of 4 children, 2 dogs, and a bunch of cats, living in a rambling house on a hill in small town New England. Little of consequence happens: an orphaned child joins the family and behaves badly, the narrator falls off her bike and breaks her arm, ice storms rage, meals are cooked and eaten, books are read, and siblings squabble. It is gloriously cozy.

I vacillated between 3 & 4 stars for this one - luckily, on booklikes, we get 1/2 stars! I liked it quite a lot - it is the entry into the series, and I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Vicky and her brothers and sisters.