moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Reading progress update: I've read 27%.

Summer - Edith Wharton, Elizabeth Ammons

Summer is my classics spin book - main character Charity Royall, a girl from the "Mountain" who has been raised by the local lawyer.

Too early to really tell how I will feel about this Wharton, but the language is beautiful as always.

"There it lay, a weather-beaten sunburnt village of the hills, abandoned of men, left apart by railway, trolley, telegraph, and all the forces that link life to life in modern communities. It had no shops, no theatres, no lectures, no "business block"; only a church that was opened every other Sunday if the state of the roads permitted, and a library for which no new books had been bought for twenty years, and where the old ones mouldered undisturbed on the damp shelves."