moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

DNF @ 20%

The Wives of Los Alamos - TaraShea Nesbit

When this book came out, I was very interested in it. "Oh," I thought, "what a cool premise! A historical fiction narrative of the women who were married to the scientists who developed the atomic bomb."

It was expensive, though. So, I passed. But, I kept my eye on it, and when it came up available for kindle unlimited, it was my chance. I had heard, though, that it was weird, and that is was written in first person plural.

What a strange POV choice. It's the POV choice that has finally defeated me.

"WE WERE WARNED by our mothers, our grandmothers, our uncles, our fathers, our priests, and our rabbis not to marry them before the war was over; they worried we were making a hasty decision; they thought time would change our minds. Our fiancés were men they did not like, or they loved the men we chose but they thought we were too young, or they wanted us to finish college first. And when we did marry them we were told, Well, Virginia, you’ll need a broom and a dustpan. Perhaps we did not marry our first loves—men who in our memory were reduced to caricature—the athlete, the class clown. We married the scientists instead, men with thick heads and scrawny bodies. Or we had always loved the scholarly ones most of all."

I could have handled it if the author had used that POV for a paragraph or two, even at the beginning of each chapter, and then told the story in either the third person or, even, shifting first person POVs. But the whole book is like that.

By trying to express everything, it expresses nothing. There is no engagement, no connection, no character development. It is a soulless narrative, bereft of personality. All of that potential, wasted.

So, I'm out. Life's too short.