moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry
Reblogged from Debbie's Spurts:
"So. I read the thing. And it hurt, man. It really hurt. I was dying to find something positive to say, and there was nothing. And the truth is, saying something positive about this thing would be the nastiest, meanest and most dishonest thing I could do. Because here's the thing: not only is it cruel to encourage the hopeless, but you cannot discourage a writer. If someone can talk you out of being a writer, you're not a writer. If I can talk you out of being a writer, I've done you a favor, because now you'll be free to pursue your real talent, whatever that may be. And, for the record, everybody has one. The lucky ones figure out what that is..."

From Josh Olson  http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2009/09/i_will_not_read.php (reminded of the article thanks to Linda Hilton).

and later in that article:  "(I should mention that while I was composing my response, he pulled the ultimate amateur move, and sent me an e-mail saying, "If you haven't read it yet, don't! I have a new draft. Read this!" In other words, "The draft I told you was ready for professional input, wasn't actually.")

********

MR's thoughts:

The other part of that piece - which I have read before - is this:

"They will hand you a piece of inept writing without a second thought, because you do not have to be a writer to be a screenwriter."

And sadly, at this point, there seems to be a consensus among people who self-publish garbage, that you do not have to be a writer to be a novelist.

These are the people who claim "the story is the only important thing, and it is good" as though we get the story through some sort of osmosis that DOESN'T INVOLVE WORDS. Or sentences. Or paragraphs. Or the people who respond to editing complaints with "I read a legacy published book last week, and there were 3 typos in it! People are so much harder on self-published writers! No fair!" when their "book" is eighteen pages, and had fifty errors - not typos, actual errors - on those eighteen pages.

Source: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2009/09/i_will_not_read.php