moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

How I Read Now

I've noticed that my reading methods have really changed since 1) I bought my first kindle 4 years ago and 2) since I started participating on Goodreads. And thinking about it, I'm not sure I am enjoying reading as much as I once was because of these changes in reading methodology.

I used to read one book at a time. I would read it like crazy until it was finished.

Owning a kindle was the first step in moving toward currently reading lists that are longer than my grocery list. At any given moment, I will now typically have a minimum of four, and often more, books going. Right now, today, I am currently reading:

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman

Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

The Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain

A big part of the reason that I read so many books at one time is because of monthly reading schedules set by my goodreads groups. The Guns of August is a GR book. The Great Divorce was actually the May book for a GR project I am doing, I got halfway through it and then was sidetracked by something else. I recently finished Tender is the Night, which I read over the month of July.

But here is the thing - I don't find reading this way to be actually all that enjoyable. I prefer to read one book at a time (maybe two, if one of them is NF). I prefer to gulp my books down. I think I get more out of them if I don't break the reading up into tiny bites.

I am going to try something else - I am going to limit my currently reading list to 3 books - one fiction, one non-fiction, one classic. If I am participating in a GR monthly scheduled read, then I am going to allow myself to finish early, but make copious notes so I can continue to participate in the weekly threads.

And I think I need to be more honest with myself about giving up on a book and taking it off the currently reading rotation. Deciding that this isn't the time to read a specific book doesn't mean that I can never come back to it. But having them there, in the mix, making me feel guilty because I just don't want to read them right now is counterproductive.

What are your thoughts? Are you a one-book-at-a-timer? A simultaneous-reader-of-many-books? What works for you?