moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Beautiful, beautiful books!

The Annotated Sense and Sensibility - David M. Shapard, Jane Austen Emma (Annotated Edition)  - David M. Shapard, Jane Austen The Annotated Pride and Prejudice: A Revised and Expanded Edition - Jane Austen, David M. Shapard

I love Jane Austen and find it infinitely sad that she only completed six novels. My way of dealing with this infinite sadness is, apparently, to purchase an infinite number of copies.

My most recent acquisitions include three of the versions that were annotated by David Shapard. I am part way through Sense & Sensibility, and love the annotations so much that I just splurged on Emma and Pride & Prejudice versions. He has also finished Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, and the Mansfield Park annotated edition is scheduled for release in 2015.

Each of the versions has a very similar look. The text is on the left hand page, with the annotations on the right. The annotations are extremely detailed, and include pictures of locations, people, items of clothing, and household objects. Even though I have read Sense and Sensibility a dozen times, the annotations are providing me with a depth of review that is quite new.

I would not recommend reading the annotated version the first time around - it is easy to lose the thread of the story in the detail of the annotations. I probably wouldn't even recommend the annotated version the second, or third time. But for someone who has read the book several times, the amount of additional information contained in the annotations is remarkable.

Let me also say that the books themselves are beautiful. They have a lovely heft to them, the covers have a nice texture, and the page stock is a creamy, slightly nicer paper than is used in most paperbacks.

I will continue to read Austen, and will not choose this edition for every time I reread her books. But I am delighted to own these three, and plan to make my way through each of them in turn, and certainly the other three are on my personal wishlist.