moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Opening Pandora's Box

The Girl with All the Gifts - M.R. Carey

According to wikipedia:

Greek mythologyPandora (GreekΠανδώρα, derived from πᾶνpān, i.e. "all" and δῶρονdōron, i.e. "gift", thus "the all-endowed", "the all-gifted" or "the all-giving"[1]) was the first human woman created by the gods, specifically by Hephaestus andAthena on the instructions of Zeus.[2][3]

As Hesiod related it, each god helped create her by giving her unique gifts. Zeus ordered Hephaestus to mold her out of earth as part of the punishment of humanity for Prometheus' theft of the secret of fire, and all the gods joined in offering her "seductive gifts". Her other name—inscribed against her figure on a white-ground kylix in the British Museum[4]—is Anesidora, "she who sends up gifts"

I don't want to say a lot about this book because it is worth reading cold, and spoilers should be avoided. However, The Girl With All The Gifts is a very unique take on a rather overdone theme. I went into it with recommendations from some good friends that I really trust, so, in spite of the fact that I thought the first 50% or so was a tiny bit draggy, I persevered.

The pay off was worth it. This book has a truly compelling and convincing ending. It has been my experience that a lot of authors blow the ending. M.R. Carey nailed the ending.