moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

#BookadayUK - Day 11

A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett

There is one scene in A Little Princess where the very hungry Sara Crewe finds a coin in the gutter and uses it to buy a half dozen warm buns from a baker. As she is, faint with hunger, getting ready to eat them, she sees another, even hungrier child watching her.

She doesn't just give the child one of her buns, or half of her buns, she gives the other little girl all of her buns except one, as the well-fed, wealthy Londoners hurry by, ignoring a small act of incredible bravery and grace happening under their noses. Poverty was invisible to them, and the starving, orphaned children were less than human.

It makes me cry every time I read it. I choke up thinking about it. It is also a reminder to me, personally, to never allow my incredible privilege to get in the way of my humanity.