moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

#BookadayUK - Day 3

Favorite book in translation.

This is sort of difficult, actually. There are always the classics - primarily Russian and French - that have been translated into English. Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, The Brothers Karamazov.

Then, there are the modern Nordic Noir novels, which I love, and most of which were translated from one of the Scandinavian languages - Mankell (my personal favorite), Borkmann, Nesser, Fossum.

I'm not picking any of those. I'm going to go with two - one Japanese, one Mexican.

Kitchen is a small book, only 152 pages, translated from Japanese. The prose is spare and sparkling. I read it years ago, and it made a tremendous impression on me.

Like Water for Chocolate is magical realism, which is one of my favorite styles, and no one does it better than the authors from Latin America. I could have chosen Isabel Allende (her House of Spirits is wonderful) or Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Love in the Time of Cholera or One Hundred Years of Solitude would be obvious), but I didn't. So, that's that.