moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

#BookadayUK - Day 2

The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

Favorite SF/Fantasy novel for world UFO day:

This is hard, because I love fantasy and have read a lot of it. I am not particularly a fan of Sci Fi, so have read very little, except time travel, which probably doesn't count.

I'm going to be boring, therefore, & pick Tolkien's Middle Earth books - The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. These books are incredibly important to me, and have molded me as a reader and as a person.

I choose The Hobbit because it was my gateway drug into fantasy. My mother read it aloud to me when I was around ten. I read it aloud to my son when he was about 12. You can find my blog post about that experience here, if you're interested (this is one of my favorite posts, actually - it included a brief interview with my son).

Lord of the Rings is one of my apocalypse books, along with the Harry Potter series. If there is ever an end to the world, I hope to spend it in my living room, as twilight descends, with my family around me, reading Frodo's adventures aloud as civilization collapses. If I have time to finish the story, it will be enough.