moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Michigan mystery

A Cold Day in Paradise - Steve Hamilton

Working my way across America in fits & starts, I landed squarely in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan this week. I've never been there, but I understand that the folks who live there are referred to as Yoopers (from the sound of the initials "U.P."). Probably calling them Uppers would be a terrible insult.

A Cold Day in Paradise is the first book in Steve Hamilton's long-running Alex McNight series. Alex is a former Detroit cop who was shot in the line of duty, and retired to a long cabin in Paradise, Michigan, near Sault Ste. Marie., which is on the northern border of Michigan, across the St. Mary's River from Canada.

Alex himself is a likeable enough fellow, and the mystery is interesting, although, to be quite honest, I saw the ending coming. It was obvious from the beginning that there was more to the story than met the eye, and McNight was sidetracked by his history.

However, as is often the case, the setting of the mystery was a big part of the enjoyment. It was fun, especially this time of year, to read a mystery that generated images like this:

and this

and this

I'd be interesting in reading on in the series, if the books weren't overpriced for kindle. I just can't get behind these publishers who price mysteries that have been in print for over a decade north of $10.00. Come on St. Martin's Press - be reasonable.

Maybe the UBS will have a few? Or my public library.