moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Share the Love Friday

Friday, June 20, 2014:

The weeks favorite booklikes reviews from my feed:

The Sparrow by Thoughts of a Nerdy Feminist: "All of the characters were extremely poignant, and I loved them all.  They were so complex, and thus very human, very believable.  The love they have for one another is incredibly touching.  The early portions of the book had humor in them that surprised and delighted me."

The Night Road by Jenny Jen: " I like the sappiness, the family values, the drama, the emotional torture, and the light romance. I feel like I'm a lot less critical when I'm emotionally engaged and I could not help but be emotionally engaged in this long, winding story."

The Divorce Papers by Denise: "Oh man did I love reading Mia's notes to both Sophie and Daniel. That woman is a pistol. She and Sophie both managed to make this book really come to life. They were both strong women that didn't want to put up with any shit but also both had their own vulnerabilities. I really enjoyed that this book was not only about Mia and Daniel's divorce but also covered Sophie's life through her emails to her best friend, Maggie."

Featured booklikes friend:

Susanna G. (find her here) is always reading something historical that catches my attention! If you're a fan of historical fiction, you'll get great recommendations from her!

From the book blogosphere:

Bookswept posted an interesting Q&A with Robert Dawson, a photographer who just released a book called The Public Library: a photographic essay, which you can find here. This is one of my favorite blogs - Yuri posts an image coupled with a quote for the books she reads. It is spare and lovely - check it out here.

Books that have captured my attention this week:

I am on a World War I kick! I'm interested in family sagas set during the waning Edwardian period, as well as non-fiction books about WWI. It is the 100th anniversary of the start of The Great War.

The Guns of August is Barbara Tuchman's Pulitzer Prize winning book about the beginning of the war. It's also one of my scheduled August reads. A Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain is a memoir written by a young woman who leaves Oxford in 1915 to enlist as a nurse in the armed services. The Passing Bells is Phillip Rock's story of two generations of the Greville family and their servants. Maisie Dobbs is a historical mystery series about a WWI nurse who sets up her own private detection agency after the war ends.