moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Dorothy Must Die - Danielle  Paige

I am reminded of a joke:

What do a Kansas divorce and a tornado have in common? Someone is going to lose a double-wide.

This book is tremendously fun.

Taking up where the original Wizard of Oz left off, Dorothy has returned to Oz, where she is mainlining magic, destroying the world, and is as sweet and murderous as an arsenic cupcake.

We begin our story in a Kansas trailer park, with heroine Amy Gumm, known as Salvation Amy because her clothes are from a thrift store. Amy's nemesis, the sparkly Madison, is pregnant, and Amy's mother is a depressive alcoholic who really only gets off the couch for two things - stealing the money Amy has painstakingly saved for a ticket out of Kansas, and drinking. A tornado is on its way when Amy is left in the trailer with a rat named Star.

Up and up and up we went. More white-pink light, more pink clouds, and every kind of junk you could imagine all swirling around in the surreal air blender: an unbothered-looking Guernsey cow. An ancient, beat-up Trans Am. An old neon service-station sign. A tricycle.

Not surprisingly, she ends up in Oz. But it is not the technicolor Oz of L. Frank Baum and Judy Garland fame. This is more like Oz, strip-mining edition.

Dorothy is still dressed in her trademark blue gingham, with the ruby slippers on her feet, but there the similarities to the adorable Judy Garland end. This Dorothy is a witch, entitled and demanding, who has more ways to kill a person for failing to worship her than an NRA member has guns in his gun safe. And no matter how much she has, it is never, never enough.

“Why does she need more than she already has?” Nox snorted. “You don’t know Dorothy. The more she gets, the more she wants. That’s the way it is with you people,” he said. “You people? What people?” “People from your world. Like Dorothy. The Wizard. Like you, probably. Magic’s dangerous for outlanders. You’re not built for it.”

She's evil, destroying Oz, and, as the title says, Dorothy Must Die, and Amy Must Be The One To Do It. And there is a coven of witches - strange bedfellows indeed - that is going to train her up so she can do just that. Our Amy becomes an assassin, ready to wield the magic that is going to take Dorothy down.

This is the first in a projected series. It does end with a lot of unanswered questions, but not in a way that made me want to throw my kindle across the room. Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of this book. I can't wait to read the sequel.