moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Simple and Enchanting

Goodnight Moon Board Book 60th Anniversary Edition (Board Book) - Margaret Wise Brown, Clement Hurd

This review was originally posted on Amazon on June 7, 2000. My daughter was barely 4, and my son had just been born. I repost it here not because I think it is a great review, but because it reminds me of one of the most amazing, wonderful, draining, difficult and rewarding periods of my life.

"In the great green room, there was a telephone and red balloon . . ." This was the first book that I read to my daughter. She continued to enjoy it until she was two and a half years old, and now, at the ripe old age of four, although she has advanced to books of much greater complexity, she still asks for it from time to time.

Goodnight Moon is quietly entertaining, from the simple, rhythmic text (which lends itself more to chanting than to reading) to the marvelous illustrations of the strangely soothing "great green room" which grow darker as the story progresses and the bunny gets closer bed time.

As your child grows older, he or she will enjoy finding the elusive baby mouse on each of the colored illustrations. The appeal of this book is somewhat inexplicable, but it is both timeless and enchanting.