moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

The Woken Gods by Gwenda Bond

The Woken Gods - Gwenda Bond

This is going to be a quick review.

I finished the book last night. It was OK, not great, but not awful. I am a Percy Jackson fan, and this book didn't have the personality or the humor that Rick Riordan puts into his series. I didn't really get a great sense of who the gods really are, and how their personalities differ.

However, there were aspects that I did like. I like the friendship between the MC, Kyra, and her two best friends, Bree and Tam. I also liked the fact that there was minimal romance between Kyra and the ostensible love interest, Oz. The book itself took place on a very short timeline (about four days, give or take), and involved a lot of danger, drama, and running around, so the idea that Kyra would have had either the time or the inclination to moon about over a boy would not have been convincing.

By way of wrap up, I would say that The Woken Gods had a lot of potential, to which it only partially lived up. I haven't been able to figure out if it is the first installment in a projected series. There is a lot of room in the narrative for further books, and I really hope that Gwenda Bond is planning at least one sequel. I would read it.

This book was published by Strange Chemistry, which is an imprint of Angry Robot publishing. I've read one other Strange Chemistry book, The Assassin's Curse, which I also rather liked. So, at this point, I'm actually pretty impressed with them.