moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

A is for Absaroka

Cross-posted on my blog.

First post of the blogging from A to Z challenge running through the end of April:

The brainchild of Arlee Bird, at Tossing it Out, the A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on. You can use a theme for the month or go random – just as long as it matches the letter of the alphabet for the day. – See more here

“A” is for Absaroka – a mountain range in Wyoming that features prominently in two of my favorite mystery series: Joe Pickett by C.J. Box and Longmire by Craig Johnson. Longmire has been adapted into a fantastic television series on A&E. I’ve only read a couple of the Longmires, but will read more, and have devoured the Picketts.

C.J. Box’s series centers around a Game Warden, Joe Pickett, who is a bit of a loose cannon, and who frequently finds himself in trouble with his superiors. He is honest, hardworking, and a bit of an anachronism, working in Wyoming’s District 12, Twelve-Sleep County. Johnson’s series is built around Walt Longmire, sheriff of the fictional Absaroka County. Both series are good. Johnson’s is more literary, and is a meatier read. Box’s books can be devoured like chocolates out of a box.

Between the two of them, Wyoming possesses a per capita murder rate that exceeds that of New Orleans on its worst day.