moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

MIdnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire

Midnight Blue-Light Special - Seanan McGuire

This review was originally posted on amazon on March 9, 2013:

This is currently my absolute favorite series. I loved the first book in the series, and this one is - if not quite as good - a very strong installment.

McGuire's world-buiding is amazing. I love her sense of humor, and Verity's light-hearted internal monologue is a treat. The supporting characters are also enjoyable. I liked Sarah in the first book. I loved her in this one. There is a brief moment in the middle of the book where we are treated to a first-person narrative inside her head, providing even more insight into her character.

The romance is natural and sweet. There were at least two "awwwww" moments in this book. This is not a super smexy read - McGuire chooses to leave most of the sexy time to the imagination. But Dominic and Verity are terrific together, and the growth and depth of their relationship is convincing and real..

I have no idea where McGuire finds the information about her cryptids, since she seems to literally have an endless supply of them. The most interesting one in this book was the manananggal, which I assumed had come out of her head until I wikipedia'd it. Whoa! We humans have some twisted imaginations for sure. This is one of my favorite things about the Incryptid series - no boring old vampires here. McGuire digs up "real" cryptids (which is an actual word) that are far scarier than anything that Hollywood has dreamed up so far (seriously, a humanoid that separates at the torso and then feasts on the hearts of pregnant women and newborn infants).

If I have one complaint, it is that Verity's internal monologue, while funny and engaging, can get a bit wearing. She is always ironic, always self-deprecating, and sometimes this tends to make her less "real" to me.

My still favorite thing about these books are (is?) the Aeslin mice. Haill the Colony and the Sacrament of the Rescue of the Arboreal Priestess. Totally brilliant. And fun.