moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Ten things about Moonlight Reader

I am also going to steal hijack borrow Grim's idea because it is a lot of fun! Here are ten things about Moonlight Reader:

1. I am middle-aged. My 48th birthday is in ten days. I was born on February 28, which is the last day of the month. Growing up, I had three best friends who all had birthdays on the first day of a month. I always thought that I jumped the gun by about four hours, and that I was actually supposed to be a March 1 birthday. The fact that I am middle-aged is sometimes terribly shocking to me, since I feel like I graduated from law school about a week and a half ago most of the time. It has actually been over 20 years.

2. I am a lawyer and I am a prosecutor. Up until a few months ago, I was a child abuse prosecutor, and that is where my heart will always be. Sometimes, though, when the work gets to be too much, breaks must be taken, so I am doing a different and less wrenching type of work right now. Which is a good thing.

3. I am a mom. I have a daughter who is going away to college this year and a son who is starting high school next year.

4. I am a lifelong learner. I love picking subjects - especially related to history - and learning about it. My current obsessions are the Victorian period and World War I.

5. I am a Tolkien nerd. I love everything about Middle Earth. I have read The Silmarillion - twice. I have listened to all of The Tolkien Professor's available podcasts, and I've watched all of the background material on the Peter Jackson adaptations. I have written an Eowyn/Faramir fan fic.

6. I love dogs. Also horses. If I had a large enough property, I would rescue a horse, and I would name him Atticus.

7. I had an abortion when I was 19. I went off to college in the eighties, and no one ever said a word to me about birth control. I have never regretted that decision, not even for one day.  I went on to have two children that I desperately wanted, and I adore them with every bit of energy contained in of my body. I am no longer hiding this fact from anyone and I refused to be shamed.

8. I am addicted to sunflower seeds. Sometimes I eat so many of them that my mouth hurts from the salt. It's insane.

9. I know a lot about autism. When my son was diagnosed, I did what I always do when confronted with something unfamiliar. I read about fifty books on the subject. Do not try say any of the following things when I am around: that autism is caused by vaccines, that kids with autism don't feel love, or that there are limits to what my son can accomplish because he is autistic. I will cut you.

10. To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book.