moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

ARC Review: Kaleidoscope by Kristen Ashley

Kaleidoscope - Kristen Ashley

Disclosure: I received an ARC of this book from netgalley.

Second disclosure: I think I need to stop reading books by Kristen Ashley. Because every single book is a retread of the book that went before. Or at least it feels that way to me.

This book is the story of Deck, who is a character in Breathe, and is Chace's BFF from way back, and Emme, who is another incarnation of Kristen Ashley herself. Deck is an uber-alpha who decides that he *wants* Emme, and reaches out and takes her. Emme is all right with that because Deck is rich, tall, goodlooking, and super-duper-good at the between the sheets action. Which of course, she's never experienced before, because all of her past boyfriends have been rubbish in that department.

There are lots of whisperings, breathiness, babes and honeys. Also, there are lots of orgasms. There is no current kidnapping, which is sort of refreshing, although there is past trauma related to kidnapping which ultimately makes very little sense, but provides our heroine with a nice PTSD backstory so that Deck can fix her with his magical whang. Things, of course, cost a whack, people have to be scraped off, and the mayhem and hijinks involve a girl posse. The obligatory appearances by Lauren and Faye occur, and we get a check in with all of the old hot guys. Even Lee and the Denver hot bunch make an appearance.

If I sound flippant, it's because I'm disappointed. I think that Kristen Ashley has some real story-telling talent buried inside of all of the trite, lazy, same old same old. Yes, her writing is, at times, over-the-top and insane, but she is funny and is capable of more than just relying on the same tropes.

Ultimately, this book is entertaining enough for what it is. But what it is is what it always is. That's enough for some people. It isn't for me. She can do better.