moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard

And We Stay - Jenny Hubbard

Book 13 of 2014. I received a free ARC of this book from Netgalley. It is scheduled for publication on 1/28/14 by Delacorte Press.

See what you lost when you left this world, this sweet old world
The breath from your own lips, the touch of fingertips
A sweet and tender kiss
The sound of a midnight train, wearing someone's ring
Someone calling your name
Somebody so warm cradled in your arms
Didn't you think you were worth anything
See what you lost when you left this world, this sweet old world
See what you lost when you left this world, this sweet old world [Sweet Old World by Lucinda Williams]

Oh, I loved this book so much. It is the story of Emily Beam, in the few months after her boyfriend, Paul, has done something unspeakable at her old high school, committing suicide in the library after she has broken up with him. Emily has been  enrolled at a boarding school at Amherst.

What doesn't this book have? Well, it doesn't have a love triangle, or bad boys with tattoos, or smexy sexy alphas who control their girlfriend's every move, or any sort of paranormal creature (and, no, the "ghost" of Emily Dickenson doesn't count, since she is really more of a presence than an actual spirit).

It is slow and introspective, a look into the resilience of youth following a devastating tragedy. It is about blossoming friendship and growing up and forgiving yourself. And it's about words and the power of words to heal.

Jenny Hubbard can put together words so beautifully that it broke my heart sometimes. I am barely a fan of poetry, but Emily Beam is a poet, and scattered throughout the book is a series of poems that she wrote in those first weeks and months at school, and they are brilliantly evocative and spare and lovely.

I feel like words are inadequate for me to explain why I loved this book. I connected with it - I have a girl and I have been a girl, and I work with girls who have been through trauma, and so for me, Emily Beam is every girl who uses words to process her pain. I loved this book.