moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Seeming female online: Foz Meadows

Foz Meadows is one of the most brilliant bloggers writing from a feminist perspective that I have ever found. Her posts are invariably well-researched, supported, and articulate.

This is a particularly interesting post for women who are gamers and who are, just generally, geeks - related to the perpetuated stereotype of the "geek girl" and that internet meme that will not die, the "fake geek girl."

I am a 47 year old woman, and no one will ever call me out as a fake geek girl, in spite of the fact that I attend comic con with my son, and love various geek things, including Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. I am simply too old to be a threat.

Nonetheless, this post resonates with me because, when I was young, I hid my fantasy geek girl stylings. Today, I wouldn't necessarily have to. But it is fascinating that sexism continues to rear its ugly head even in an era that is more tolerant of people's geekish proclivities, and that girls are still judged/misjudged as less serious and less legitimate because of their perceived gender.

Anyway, enjoy. Also, if you don't already follow Foz Meadows, you should.