moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent - Marie Brennan

Another migrated review from amazon, this one from July, 2013. I apparently was not in a talkative mood.

I admit to having a weakness for the Victorian period. I also admit to having a weakness for intrepid lady explorers, generally wearing skirts, in the (non-fiction) tradition of Isak Dinesen, Freya Stark, and Lady Isabella Bird and in the fictional tradition of Lady Julia Grey and Amelia Peabody.. Just as luck would have it, I ended up reading A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by the aforementioned Isabella Bird at the same time that I read this one.

Overall, I really liked Lady Trent and her trip to the imaginary Vystrana - which appeared to be a stand-in for one of the slavic countries - was well-done. I loved her husband. The book is told in a retrospective, very similar in feel to A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains, and was thoroughly enjoyable. It is barely fantasy, since the worldbuilding relies heavily on historical conventions, and it might have been better done as an alternative history, using the "real" locations.

Recommended for fans of alternative history, Victoriana, and dragons. If you like all three, this is a home run.