moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Reading goals for 2014: Master Post

T minus 18 days and counting to 2014.

The challenges to which I am (so far) committed for next year:

The Bronte Project:

All seven major works by Charlotte, Emily and Anne, plus a couple of biographies:

Agnes Grey (1847) by Anne Bronte

The Professor (1859) by Charlotte Bronte

Biographies:

The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell

Wild Genius on the Moor by Juliet Barker

If anyone is interested in buddy reading any of these, let me know. I want to read them in order of publication year. First up is Agnes Grey, by Anne Bronte.

Sail to the Past

History Reading Challenge 2014 – A Sail to the Past

What books to pick?
1. Pick one or more History books written by historian(s)—must be pure non-fiction; historical fiction is not allowed.
2. It has to be a work through investigation and researches, and not only collecting and listing historical data.
3. Biography is permitted, but not Autobiography, as I think autobiography lacks the objectivity of a history.

Select a Challenge level
Student : read 1 to 3 books
Scholar : read 4 to 6 books
Historian : read 7 or more books

I have decided on specific books at this point, but I am planning reading to the scholar level, noting that both of my Bronte biographies qualify under these criteria, so that is already two down. The other books will probably relate to U.S. history, since I own a selection of those already.

The Zero-Budget Year

I have a lovely 17 year old daughter who is getting ready to go to college in the fall of 2014. I have determined that this is going to cost, pretty much, all of the money. Therefore, I am trying for a zero-budget book year.

I will be reading my own stacks, using the library, and hoping for presents of books or bookstore GC's for my birthday and other events that involve the gifting of stuff.

I am actually really looking forward to this, since I have an enormous personal library. I think it will be a lot of fun to "shop" my own books.

Mt. TBR Challenge

As an adjunct to the zero-budget year challenge (which will no doubt be the most difficult challenge of the year) I am participating in a Mt. TBR challenge at the Mt. Kilimanjaro level, which means I will read 60 books from my TBR pile. To make this challenge more fun and serendipitious, I am going to create a TBR jar.