moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Reading the season

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ott, Jonathan Lethem The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters The Shining Girls - Lauren Beukes Death Watch - Ari Berk The Monstrumologist  - Rick Yancey

Moonlight Reader's Hallowe'en Reads

A chilling and beautifully written tale of psychological horror by one of America's greatest (and most underrated) women writers of all time, Shirley Jackson. Ms. Jackson's works are in the process of being released as Penguin Classics editions.

An excerpt from my blog discussion of this book:

So, The Little Stranger is a simple ghost story. Or it isn’t. The Little Stranger is a psychologically compelling study of a madman. Or it isn’t. The Little Stranger is a description of a series of brilliantly executed murders. Or it isn’t. And that is what makes this book so amazing – any of these possibilities is left open (although I, of course, have my own opinion as to who, or what, The Little Stranger actually was) for the reader to think through at the end and come to his or her own conclusions.

Time travelling serial killer for the win.

A dark and gothic tale that is beautifully written. The main character, Silas, is an endearing character - and there are far too few male protagonists in YA, which is an added bonus. Death Watch is refreshing in part because it is more or less romance free.

The writing is gorgeous. Ari Berk's descriptions are beautiful and
evocative. The town of Lichport, with it's generations of ghosts and it's slowly
decaying buildings, straddles the line between real and imagined. There is a
slowly unfolding mystery to solve.

If Stephen King and Charles Dickens made sweet, sweet love, they would give birth to this book. It is gory, terrifying, beautiful, and sweet, all wrapped up in one monstrous package. I never stop recommending this book.

Happy Hallowe'en!