moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor This book is simply gorgeous. It is set in Prague, which has the benefit of being both familiar and exotic. It is also a city that has always fascinated me, so one of the things that I really loved about the book is that it is set in Prague. The main character, Karou, is also familiar yet exotic, an artistic girl with azure hair. The fantasy elements are also beautifully realized. One of the things that really sets this book apart from others is the world building.

I read the book on kindle, but I feel like I need to drive to Barnes and Noble so I can hold this book in my hands, because there are aspects of it that I suspect will be lovely in print form. Sections of the book are separated by pages that are empty save two poetic lines and an image of a feather. This works well on kindle, but may be breathtaking in print.

The only real complaint I have is that it ended with the obligatory cliff-hanger. This is common in series novels, and it drives me crazy. Mostly it drives me crazy because I don't know when the next novel will be published. I do know that I will be reading it.

In summary, I loved this book. I loved the characters, I loved the mythology that Laini Taylor created to define the two warring races, I loved the way that the worlds, and the wishes, worked. Ms. Taylor took risks in the writing of this book. The risks paid off. 4 1/2 stars (5 on amazon).