moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry
Cain's Blood - Geoffrey Girard It was difficult for me to decide if I should read this one first, or the companion YA novel told from the perspective on one of the characters. I picked this one, deciding that it would give me a broader overview of the story as a whole. Over all, I think that was a good decision, but I will know for sure once I finish [b:Project Cain|17334309|Project Cain|Geoffrey Girard|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1360359880s/17334309.jpg|21850613], which I am reading next.

To begin, I found this book fast-paced. It grabbed my attention, and maintained that attention through the entire reading experience. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of graphic violence, including sexual violence, and disturbing imagery in this book. I would not recommend this book for people who are squeamish, or who have issues with graphic sexual violence. Think [b:The Girl Who Played with Fire|5060378|The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)|Stieg Larsson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1351778881s/5060378.jpg|6976108], and then multiply it by about 100, and you'll have an idea of the level of violence of this book.

The book did have a major weakness, and that was a basic inability to connect to the characters. They were all pretty much completely inhumane, and it was difficult, if not impossible, to become attached to them. The character of Jeff, who is the MC of the companion novel, comes the closest to possessing some actual humanity. The technothriller aspect of the book was also interesting, but not all that convincing.

In summary, the government was basically growing the modern equivalent of the Uruk'hai in a private lab somewhere.

Overall, I think that this was a book that was enjoyable - if disturbing - while consumed, but which will not stay with me for very long. I am certain that it will not make my top ten list for 2013.

The one last complaint - Gary Ridgway was known as the Green River Killer, not the Green Valley Killer, and he operated in the Pacific Northwest which is nowhere near the Northeast United States. This was a small error, but it was glaring and annoying, since the author had obviously done a great deal of homework on famous serial killers, yet he managed to completely flub this one.