moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry
Project Cain - Geoffrey Girard I followed up Cain's Blood with this one. I gave Cain's Blood 3 stars. I'm adding a star to this one because I personally think that it is the more interesting book of the two.

So, to explain: Cain's Blood is a very traditional thriller, written in very traditional thriller fashion. Third person narrator. Lots of gore. Government conspiracies abound. Clones of serial killers. Former military special ops dude is hired by private company doing the government's dirty work to clean up some secret and ill-advised weapons development that's happening on the down low. Think: Halliburton + Seal Team Six + escaped serial killer clones on a rampage. It's a ripping read, but there are dozens of books just like it published every month. It puts its own spin on the genre, but it is firmly within the genre.

Project Cain, though, isn't as easy to pigeonhole. I did read Cain's Blood first, so I'm not sure if it would have been as easy to follow without already knowing the story. It's written in the first person, in a retrospective fashion. Some of the other reviews note that it contains a lot of info dumping, and that's true. It does. There is a lot of researched information - presented in a rather dry and reportorial (I'm not sure if I just made that word up or not) fashion by our narrator, Jeff.

But, in my opinion, it totally works. Because this is Jeff's story, and Jeff is learning all of this information as he experiences the most disorienting, stunning and terrible events of his life. One day he is one thing, the next day is he is something totally different, and this book is his process of learning who - and what - he is, and coming to an understanding of what it means. We are getting a retrospectively real time narrative from Jeff.

It absolutely isn't necessary to read this book to get Cain's Blood. I'm not sure if it's necessary to read Cain's Blood to get this one. There is a lot of overlap between the stories (right down to the inclusion of some of the same verbiage in both). I am a very fast reader, so I didn't feel bogged down or bored by this, but I wonder if someone who is a slower reader would feel bored by the retakes.

I'm not sorry I read them both. I preferred this one. That's all.