moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Moonlight Reader's 30 Day Challenge: Day 07

If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits? - Erma Bombeck Summer of the Monkeys - Wilson Rawls A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf - Molly Harper

07: A book that makes you laugh.

I don't read a huge amount of humor, so I have to go pretty deep into the well for these selections.

First: If Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries, What am I Doing in the Pits by Irma Bombeck. I am a child of the 1970's and 1980's, and I distinctly remember reading this book after I caught my mom laughing while reading it. Strangely, I also found it absolutely hilarious. I can't remember a lot about it, except that it induced snort-laughter.

Second: The Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls. Rawls is more famous for his epically sad Where the Red Fern Grows than he is for this work of fiction. I also believe, although it is again difficult to remember, that this book does have some sad parts. However, this book was read aloud to my entire fourth grade class, and I recall with total clarity that all of us found the antics of the monkeys to be serious giggle material.

Third: Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, which contains one of the funniest stories about a bear that has ever been written. Also, canned goods. This is one of those books that I read, sitting on the couch next to my football-watching-husband, and he would periodically look askance at me because I was laughing out loud. Not the fake, internet lol, but the actual laughing while reading that causes people to look at you like you are crazy.

Fourth: Molly Harper's The Art of Seducing Naked Werewolf. I love Molly Harper's PNRs. They have a much lighter, happier feel to them than most PNRs. Much chortling ensued with this one. Her vampire series is also good, but I really prefer the werewolves.

So, there you have it: snort-laughter, giggles, husband-distracting-lols or chortling. Take your laughter pick.