moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers - Barry Lyga

I like books about serial killers. They are generally unrealistic, but, hey, if I want realistic, I'll go to work.

I especially like YA books about serial killers. Because adult fiction about serial killers can be dark (Chelsea Cain, I'm looking at you, you deeply effed up woman). I like my dark with a melty caramel center, thank you very much.

I really liked this book.

Getting one thing out of the way, though, I absolutely hated the MC's name. Jazz, short for Jasper. What? Who names the son of the most notorious serial killer evah Jazz? Jazz is the name of a pretty, darkhaired dancer who attends the School for the Performing Arts in New York. Jazz is a girl, dang it.

Anyway, moving on. Other than that, I Hunt Killers is very engaging and engrossing. The glimpses of Jazz's backstory are gripping and intriguing. His mistrust of himself and his confusion about who he is and what he is capable of are convincing and full of appropriate  pathos.

I really liked his two sidekicks, as well - Howie, his hemophiliac BF, and Connie, the smart, cool girlfriend who doesn't put up with his wallowing. And the Police Chief was a breath of fresh air. Not the stereotypical idiot who couldn't find his ass with both hands, he's smart (he caught Jazz's dad, after all, when no one else could) and he treats Jazz like he is a human being in spite of who his dad is. Nicely done, Mr. Lyga.

I read Project Cain a few weeks ago, which is also about serial killers, and treads some of the same ground as I Hunt Killers. This is a better book in my opinion, although I did like Project Cain.

And, whoopee, I just realized the sequel has been released, so I don't have to suffer from the moderately-cliff-hangery-ending!