1000 Sidekicks

Booklikes-opoly 2019 - the tracking post updated 6/2/19

Game Updates

Game Play

Bank: $41.00

Novelty cards currently in my pocket: Robot

Bank Transactions:

Total: $74.00

Roll 9:

I finished My Cousin Rachel, and am gobsmacked

Space 11:

11. Read a book set in a coastal/beach region that you love, or would love to visit, or a book that has a beach or ocean on the cover.

Roll 8:

So, I decided to just skip space 28 this time around. I did read for space 36, though. I read A Great Deliverance, which has all the letters to spell V-E-N-I-C-E in the title, which, at 430 pages long, netted me $5.00.

I pass "Go", which means I collect $5.00!

7. Read a book that has a house on the cover, or that is related to something unique about your community (for example, if your community has a strawberry festival, read a book with strawberries on the cover).

Hmmmmm. I'm going to have to think about this one for a minute or two. I may end up playing one of my novelty cards here!

Roll 7:

A Passage to India was a bit bleak, but satisfying. Forster's reticence about what really happened in the cave is both intriguing and irritating.

Puts me on Free Parking!

I put the cat in my pocket and roll again!

Which puts me on:

28. Read a book that is identified as romance or chick-lit, or that has a cover that is more than 50% pink.

and then, because of the doubles, I roll AGAIN!

And, I land on 36 again.

36. Read a book that involves travel to Europe, or that has an image of any European city or monument on the cover, or that the letters of the title can spell the name of any European city* that I visited on my trip *Paris, Amsterdam, Munich, Geneva, Rome, Florence, Venice & Barcelona.

Roll 6:

Space 10:  Read a book that appears on any beach reads list or a book whose author's first or last name begins with any letter in B-E-A-C-H.

I'm going to read A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.

Roll 5:

I blew through The Division Bell Mystery yesterday - I agree with my fellow readers who enjoyed the setting, but found the mystery largely forgettable. Also, shout out to the feminist themes! I suspect I would've enjoyed talking to Ellen Wilkinson a whole lot.

Anyway, it's worth +$3.00, and onto the rolls:

Ah, doubles! Fun! This takes me to square 27:

Read a book that features a hero's journey or is a bildungsroman (coming of age tale) or that has a word related to space in the title, such as star, planet, rocket).

and then I roll again:

And, another doubles takes me to space 36:

I know exactly what I am going to read for this one - Below The Clock, which has a picture of Big Ben on the cover.

and then I roll again:

Which takes me past GO (+$5.00) to space 6:

More after the page break!

Roll 4:

I am taking partial credit for The Moonstone (215 pages = $3.00) and credit for A Fatal Inversion (324 pages = $5.00) and calling my Memorial Day reading a wrap.

I start my roll sitting on Mountain Cabin #16.

19. Read a book with a cover that is more than 50% blue, or by an author whose first or last name begins with any letter in the word L-A-K-E.

I am starting The Division Bell Mystery, written by Ellen Wilkinson!

Roll 3:

I finished Family Matters - and what a crazy book it was. At 237 pages, it nets me $3.00 for my bank, raising my net worth to 28.00.

Also, as I posted this morning, it's a long weekend, which, in BLopoly often means EXTRA ROLLS! So, here we go with my Memorial Day rolls. Books will be added after I take stock of the possibilities!

28: Read a book that is identified as romance or chick-lit, or that has a cover that is more than 50% pink.

I decided to skip this one!

Go: collect $5.00 & roll again.

6. Read a book set in your home town, state, or country or that you checked out of your local library or that has been on your (physical) bookshelves since last summer.

I am still reading The Moonstone, but I want to move on. I've read first section, which gets me to 215 pages. At this point, I am going to keep reading it, but just take the $3.00 for it and move on. The Barnes and Noble Classics edition has been on my bookshelves for years.

16. Read a book that is a mystery or suspense, or which has a title that contains all of the letters in the word C-A-B-I-N.

I read Ruth Rendell's A Fatal Inversion, which was 324 pages long, and is worth $5.00.

Roll 2:

I finished Palace of Treason, which netted me a whopping $5.00, and also inaugurated the Summer of Spies Redux.

Sends me to the Robot novelty square, which I put into my pocket, and roll again

I will be reading Family Matters by Anthony Rolls, which will fill one of my few remaining squares for the Detection Club bingo.

Roll 1:

5. The Silk Road: Read a book set in any of the 40 countries* along the Silk Road, or by an author from any of those countries. *link to list

Book: Palace of Treason by Jason Matthews, set in Russia. (481 pages, worth $5.00).