1712 Sidekicks

Jane Austen
Progress: 253/405 pages

Valdemar read: Arrow's Flight

Arrow's Flight - Mercedes Lackey

Continuing with my Valdemar read, I'm loosely planning on reading two or three books a  month. Arrow's Flight is the second of the Heralds of Valdemar trilogy which focuses on Talia, Queen's Own Herald.

This was the Deathly Hallows of Valdemar, involving the longest camping trip of all time. I'm joking a little bit, but most of the book involves Talia and Kris, her training officer, doing rounds on the Borders dispensing queen's justice and overcoming obstacles. It's not particularly action packed, although that's fine with me - I'm not an action driven reader.

Talia is struggling with controlling her Gift, so a lot of the book is focused on that, and on the moral and ethical dilemmas of using her Gift of mindspeaking. She struggles with trying to figure out when and how it's appropriate to bend others to her will by projection, ultiimately coming to what seems to be a reasonable decision that she will employ the Gift as a weapon in the same way that she would employ her hands in combat.

I enjoyed exploring the world of Valdemar and the Heralds. One of the things that I really do like about Lackey's writing is her very open and easy attitude towards sexuality. The Heralds are, generally, not monogamous and they become involved in healthy, friendly sexual relationships in a way that feels very organic and convincing. Especially for a book published in 1987, this is surprising. There are no "punishments" administered for girls/women who have a healthy and even lusty appetite for sex. It's refreshing.

The next book in the trilogy is also planned for January - Arrow's Fall.