1712 Sidekicks

Sense and Sensibility
Jane Austen
Progress: 253/405 pages

A rather interesting Golden Age challenge

I'm still trying to decide if I am going to participate in this one, so I thought I'd drop a post so I can be sure to find it again! I like the idea behind it a lot. It's called the "Just the Facts Ma'am" challenge - full rules are here.

For purposes of the challenge, Golden Age Mysteries are anything published before 1960. There is also a Detective's Notebook for Silver Age Mysteries, which are mysteries published between 1960 and 1989. I haven't done a side-by-side detailed comparison, but it looks like the categories are the same for both.

In a nutshell, the challenge creator has set up a "Detective's Notebook" with categories to check off:

The levels of participation are:

Constable: 6 books -- one from each category

Chief Superintendent: 42 books -- seven from each category
Deputy Chief Constable: 48 books -- eight from each category
Chief Constable: 54 books -- nine from each category
Master Detective: 60 books -- all ten books from each category

If I decide to participate, I'll probably attempt the "Chief Inspector" level of play.

Alternatively, I was thinking about creating a new card for the Detection Club once I finish my current card that would identify 25 new categories to check off which would open up the reading to books/authors that didn't make it into Martin Edward's source book The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books - I really like some of her categories, and could use it as a bit of a jumping off point.