Task 1: “Confess” your book habits. Dog-earring? Laying books face down? Bending back the spines? Skimming? OR: Confess your guilty reading pleasure, or comfort reads.

I have a number of terrible book habits to confess! I was a serial page dog-earrer, although I've tried to reform and use bookmarks. I do have a tendency to lay books face down if I can't put my hands on my bookmarks and I'm not going to be gone for very long. The one thing that I do not do is I don't break my spines. I'm very careful about this, because in my younger, careless days, I destroyed my books this way!

Task 2: It’s “Pennants” day according to MbD’s husband: post a picture of your favorite team’s logo / mascot and the last time they’ve won a championship (or not).

I really don't care about sports. However, my husband and daughter both graduated from U of O, and they are both huge fans. Therefore, the Ducks have become my favorite team by default because my husband loses his mind when they lose and makes everyone in my house MIS-ER-AB-LE. He is so ridiculous that he scares the dog.

Task 3: In centuries gone by, penance would often end up in what might be described as a very extended bad hair day (complete with sackcloth and ashes). Tell us: What’s a bad hair day to you – and what (if anything) do you do about it?

I have very thick hair. A bad hair day to me occurs when I've gone waaaayyy to long without a haircut (which is most of the time, TBH). My hair doesn't just get longer, it gets bigger. This persists until I throw in the towel and get a haircut.

Task 4: Early Christian spiritualists would sometimes do penance by spending time in the desert. If you’ve ever visited a desert region (or even live there), post a picture and tell us about it. Alternatively, post a picture of sand dunes (NOT with water in the background!).

My parents live in the Phoenix area, and a few years ago I flew down on my own for a short visit. We drove over to Tombstone, which was touristy, but fun, and then stopped at the Mission San Xavier Del Back on our way home. It is a beautiful old mission, and the story behind the Mission (wikipedia article here) reminded me of Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop, although the historical figure upon which Archbishop is based is not Eusebio Francisco Kino, who established the mission in 1692.

Book: Read any book concerning a man / woman of the cloth, a book about a character hiding a guilty secret or searching for absolution.

I'm not sure if I will read for this task, but I do highly recommend Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather, which is a fictional treatment of Jean Baptiste Lamy, an early French missionary to the area which would become New Mexico.