Murder in the Rue de Paradis - Cara Black

The used bookstore I frequent (at which I have almost $200 in credit) is a treasure trove of books. It's also a muddle - I realized the last time I was there that the shelves are actually 2 deep in books, and there really isn't any way to know what's behind the first line of books without digging. Therefore, it is like a treasure hunt every time I am there.

The last time I was there, I found a little section of Soho Crime, which had several of the Aimee LeDuc mysteries. I've read the first two of the series, but they are fairly expensive on kindle, so I'm reluctant to buy them. I could probably check them out of the library. Anyway, I figured out which of the available books was earliest in the series and bought it. This still meant that I would be skipping 5 books, since Rue Paradis is #8 in the series. I figured what the heck, and bought it anyway. When I saw that one of the qualifying book elements for International Day of Tolerance was to read a book set in Paris, I immediately thought of Aimee.

The action for this book is set in 1995, which is in the near past. I was not at all current on Aimee's private life, so her reporter boyfriend, Yves, was new to me. I have no idea how much of a role he plays in the earlier books before becoming the murder victim in this one. The murder itself was interesting, and I definitely didn't figure it out.

I really love the use of Paris in these books, though. It is such a vibrant, diverse, real city as portrayed by Cara Black. She definitely shows the duality of Paris - the romantic, glittery aspects, but also the dirty, urban elements as well. I doubt that they will ever make it into my first tier of mysteries, but I've enjoyed every one that I've read.