In my view, at least, Samwise Gamgee is the ultimate book character messenger. He is among the most quotable characters (of a lot of quotable characters) in the Lord of the Rings.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

He was endlessly loyal, a characteristic that is not sufficiently prized in this time of selfishness as virtue.

“His love for Frodo rose above all other thoughts, and forgetting his peril he cried aloud: 'I'm coming Mr. Frodo!”

He didn't shrink from doing hard things, and he didn't do them for the adulation at the end (although he wasn't entirely averse to being known as "Samwise the Brave"). He is the ultimate expression of perseverance.

“I don't know how to say it, but after last night I feel different. I seem to see ahead, in a kind of way. I know we are going to take a very long road, into darkness; but I know I can't turn back. It isn't right to see Elves now, nor dragons, nor mountains, that I want - I don't rightly know what I want: but I have something to do before the end, and it lies ahead, not in the Shire. I must see it through, sir, if you understand me.”

He also loved little things - growing plants, children, and all of the best things about The Shire. He had integrity. He was a hero in the smallest of ways, which makes him the greatest of hobbits.

“But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.
He drew a deep breath. ‘Well, I’m back,’ he said”