1712 Sidekicks

Sense and Sensibility
Jane Austen
Progress: 253/405 pages

Moonlight Snow's 2018 Bookish Advent Tracking Post

I will be tracking my bookish advent season here! I'm still in the process of organizing things, but I think I've got things dialed in at this point, and I can focus more on the tasks/reading

RUNNING TOTAL: 21

Planning update:

With U.S. Thanksgiving on Thursday, I should have a bit of extra time to read and post. Like MBD, I plan on a bit of a flood of catching up on tasks - including some for my as yet uncompleted holidays: Diwali & International Day of Tolerance.

I've also got some books on my agenda: I picked up one of Cara Black's Aimee LeDuc books on my last trip to Wallace Books, which will fulfill the reading component of International Day of Tolerance (set in Paris), and I have the second Jane Harper mystery - Force of Nature - checked out of the library, which will fulfill the reading component of Melbourne Cup (set in Australia). I'm also considering between a few non-fiction possibilities for the reading element of Diwali.

Door 10: Bon Om Touk

Task 1:  Make a paper boat and post a picture of it.   Instructions, if needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiAWx8odStA

Task 2: If you’ve ever attended a procession or an event involving festively decked out boats, post a picture and tell us about it.

Task 3: Bon Om Touk celebrates the end of the rainy season. Tell us: What’s your favorite type of rainy day book – and do you have a favorite drink or snack to go with your rainy day reading? Photos welcome!

Task 4: Which are your 3 favorite books where a key character is “moonlighting”?

Post for Tasks 2, 3, & 4 is here.

Book: Read a book that takes place at sea or on a river OR with water on the cover OR where the plot involves a festival or the moon plays a pivotal role in the plot.

Door 9: Thanksgiving

Task 1: List the 3 books you’ve read this year you’re most “thankful” for (your favs) or the one book you’ve ever read that changed your life for the better.  Link to post.

Task 2: Describe your perfect meal. What would you cook for the perfect celebration, or, what would you have your imaginary personal chef cook for you?

Task 3: Name a book you’ve read this year that you thought was full of “stuffing”Link to post.

Task 4: Show us your 2018 book “harvest” – the books you newly acquired this year, regardless whether bought, received as gift or in whichever other way.

Book: Autumnal covers, set in New England, or a turkey shows up in the story.

Door 8: Day of Penance

Task 1: “Confess” your book habits. Dog-earring? Laying books face down? Bending back the spines? Skimming? OR: Confess your guilty reading pleasure, or comfort reads.

Task 2: It’s “Pennants” day according to MbD’s husband: post a picture of your favorite team’s logo / mascot and the last time they’ve won a championship (or not).

Task 3: In centuries gone by, penance would often end up in what might be described as a very extended bad hair day (complete with sackcloth and ashes). Tell us: What’s a bad hair day to you – and what (if anything) do you do about it?

Task 4: Early Christian spiritualists would sometimes do penance by spending time in the desert. If you’ve ever visited a desert region (or even live there), post a picture and tell us about it. Alternatively, post a picture of sand dunes (NOT with water in the background!).

All of my Day of Penance tasks are collected in one post!

Book: Read any book concerning a man / woman of the cloth, a book about a character hiding a guilty secret or searching for absolution. An Excellent Mystery by Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael is a monk).

Door 20: Christmas

Book: Read any Christmas book. Envious Casca by Georgette Heyer (set during an English country house Christmas celebration.

Door 18: Winter Solstice/Yuletide

Book: Read any book that takes place in December OR with ice or snow on the cover OR that revolves around the (summer or winter) equinox OR a collection of poetry by Hafez.  Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher.

Door 7: Mawlid

Task 1:  Make two “prophesies” you think will come to fruition in 2019 in your personal or reading life.

Task 2: The Five Pillars of Islam include almsgiving and the pilgrimage to Mekka. Tell us: Have you ever donated books or rescued them from (horror of horrors) being trashed? Alternatively: Is there a book-related place that is a place of pilgrimage to you?

Task 3: Prophets are messengers. Tell us: Which book characters are your favorite messengers (no matter whether humans, angels, (demi)gods, etc.)? Samwise Gamgee!

Task 4: Muhammad was a merchant before becoming a religious leader. List 5 books on your shelves in which a key character makes / undergoes a radical career change.

Book:  If you can find a copy, read Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet.  Or read any book about a leader of a movement, nation, religion or large group, OR read a book with a green cover OR with a half moon on the cover.

Door 6: International Day of Tolerance

Task 1: Find some redeeming quality in the book you liked least this year and post about it.

Task 2: Tell us: What are the tropes (up to 5) that you are not willing to live with in any book (i.e., which are absolutely beyond your capacity for tolerance) and which make that book an automatic DNF for you? (Insta-love? Love triangles? First person present narrative voice? Talking animals? The dog dies? What else?)

Task 3: The International Day for Tolerance is a holiday declared by an international organization (UNESCO). Create a charter (humorous, serious, whatever strikes your fancy) for an international organization of readers.

Task 4: UNESCO is based in Paris. Paris is known for its pastries and its breads: Either find a baker that specializes in pastries and bring home an assortment for your family, or make your own pastries using real butter and share a photo with us.

Book: Read any fiction/non-fiction about tolerance or a book that’s outside your normal comfort zone. (Tolerance can encompass anything you generally struggle with, be it sentient or not.) OR Read a book set in Paris. Murder in the Rue Paradis by Cara Black (set in Paris).

Door 5: Veteran's Day/Armistice Day

Task 1: Using book covers (real or virtual), create a close approximation of your country’s flag (either of residence or birth), OR a close approximation of a poppy. Take a pic of your efforts and post.

Task 2: Make an offer of peace (letter, gift, whatever) to a book character who has particularly annoyed you this year.

Task 3: Tell us: What author’s books would you consider yourself a veteran of (i.e., by which author have you read particularly many books – or maybe even all of them)?

Task 4: Treat yourself to a slice of poppy seedcake and post a photo. If you want to make it yourself, try out this recipe or this one.

Book: Read any book involving wars, battles, where characters are active military or veterans, or with poppies on the cover. Lethal White by Robert Galbraith (main character is a military veteran).

Door 4: Diwali

Task 1: Share a picture of your favorite light display. Lights of Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Task 2: Cleaning is a big part of this holiday; choose one of your shelves, real or virtual, and tidy / organise it. Give us the before and after photos. OR Tidy up 5 of the books on your BookLikes shelves by adding the CORRECT cover, and/or any other missing information.

Task 3: Eating sweets is also a big part of Diwali. Either select a recipe for a traditional sweet, or make a family favorite and share a picture with us.

Task 4: During Diwali, people pray to the goddess Lakhshmi, who is typically depicted as a beautiful young woman holding a lotus flower. Find 5 books on your shelves (either physical or virtual) whose covers show a young woman holding a flower and share their cover images.

Book: Read a book with candles on the cover or the word “candle” or “light” in the title; OR a book that is the latest in a series; OR set in India; OR any non-fiction book that is ‘illuminating’ (Diwali is Sanskrit for light/knowledge and row, line or series).

Door 3: Melbourne Cup

Task 1: Pick your ponies! MbD has posted the horses scheduled to race; everyone picks the three they think will finish (in any order).  One of my choices, Prince Of Arran, crossed the finish line in 3rd place!

Task 2: Cup day is all about the hats. Post a picture of your favorite hat, whether it’s one you own or not.

Task 3: The coloring of the “horse of a different color” in the movie version of The Wizard of Oz was created by rubbing the horse’s fur with jello. What’s the weirdest use of jello you’ve ever come across?

Task 4: Have you ever been to or participated in a competition involving horses (racing, jumping, dressage, whatever)? Tell us about it. Photos welcome, too!

Book: about horses or a horse on the cover. Books with roses on the cover or about gardening; anything set in Australia.

Door 2: Guy Fawkes Day

Task 1: Burn a book in effigy. Not that anyone of us would do such a thing, but if you HAD to, which book would be the one you’d sacrifice to the flames (gleefully or not)?

Task 2: List your top 3 treasonous crimes against books. Not ones you’ve committed, but the ones you think are the worst.

Task 3: Share your favorite / most memorable BBQ recollections or recipe, or your favorite recipe for food “flambé” (i.e., doused with alcohol which is then set aflame and allowed to burn off).

Task 4: Find 5 uses of the word “gunpowder” in book titles in contexts other than for blowing up things or shooting people (e.g., Gunpowder Green by Laura Childs = tea).

Book: Read a political thriller: Destination Unknown by Agatha Christie

Points: +1

Door 1: Dia de los Muertos

TASKS AND BOOK

Task 1: Write a silly poem or limerick poking fun at the fiction character of your choiceWrote a poem about Hercule Poirot.

Task 2: Share your favorite gravestone epitaph (you know you have one).

Task 3: Create an altar (either digital or physical) for your favorite book, series, or book character, and post a picture of it. Inclusion of book cover encouraged.

Task 4: If you like Mexican food, treat yourself to your favorite dish and share a photo of it.

Book: Re-read an old favorite from a now-deceased author, a book from a finished (dead) series, or a book set in Mexico. Re-read Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot's Christmas.