Truly Devious - Maureen Johnson

Overall, I found this to be a bit of a mixed bag - I enjoyed the beginning, the second quarter dragged, and then it picked up again at about 52%.

There was a lot of classic mystery name-checking, and especially Hercule Poirot and his leetle grey cells. The main character, Stevie, is a true crime and mystery buff, and her obsession with crime fiction, especially Agatha and the inimitable Sherlock Holmes was thoroughly delightful.

I also quite enjoyed the bits of ephemera, transcripts and the like, that we got from the 1936 disappearance and murders, which is at the heart of the book. Don't go into this book expecting a resolution to any of the subplots, though, because you aren't going to get one, This is a classic cliffhanger and the next book in the series, The Vanishing Staircase, doesn't release until next January. I was wishing that I had waited to read it until the sequel came out.

Because even though it was a mixed bag, I enjoyed it a lot and will be reading book 2 the day it drops. I need answers!

I was planning to read this one for Baker Street Irregulars, but I checked out the first in the Enola Holmes series last night, which fits perfectly in that slot. This one was published on 1/18/18, so I'm checking off "New Release" instead!