1198 Sidekicks
moonlightreader

The Quilty Reader

Summer of Spies: Book 4

Message From Malaga - Helen MacInnes

Just a quick review of this one before I head out to work! The MC of this one is Ian Ferrier, who is visiting a friend in Malaga, goes to see some flamenco and become embroiled in danger after his friend, who is working for the CIA, is murdered by some spies.

This is classic MacInnes - well-rendered, exotic location, in this case Spain, a strong, attractive, every day man who has to step up to serve his country heroically, a beautiful woman who is working on the side of good, and a very slender romance subplot between the two.

I'm not entirely sure why I like her books so much. This one had less regressive gender stereotyping than many of her earlier books, although it is still present. In addition, her books are quite slow-paced, especially compared to modern espionage fiction. Nonetheless, I always enjoy dipping into my kindle collection of Helen MacInnes spy fiction, and I am delighted that Titan Books picked her up to re-release on kindle.