A Brush with Shadows - Anna Lee Huber

This series continues to please. This particular installment takes Kiera and Sebastian to Dartmoor, to his family home, because the heir, Alfred, has disappeared. Alfred has a history of a rather nasty relationship with Gage, and Alfred's mother is the frankly not very nice Vanessa.

Anna Lee Huber gives more than a passing nod to ACD's The Hound of the Baskervilles in this one. It's probably impossible for a mystery author to set a mystery on Dartmoor without doing so - and the moor's atmospherics were a substantial element in the book, along with a family curse.

I've enjoyed every one of these Lady Darby Mysteries, and will continue to read the series. Of all of Huber's ongoing series, this is my favorite. Verity Kent doesn't have the brooding style of Lady Darby, and her Gothic Myths series is too unformed to draw any conclusions, but the first book was a disappointment to me. Nonetheless, she has become an autobuy author for me - as soon as I see she has something available for preorder, I've already bought it.