moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

My Festive Sixteen!

All right! I have been very busy this weekend, putting my upstairs back together! This is pretty much the first chance I've had to sit down and contemplate the new game. I will track my progress here!

My plan for today are to just identify a few of the tasks/books to work on this week to get me started!

LINKS TO COMPLETION POSTS:

4. Penance Day: read Dead Man's Ransom by Ellis Peters.

Category Plans:

Square 1: November 1st:

All Saints Day / Día de los Muertos / Calan Gaeaf

Book themes for Calan Gaeaf:
Read any of your planned Halloween Bingo books that you didn’t end up reading after all, involving witches, hags, or various types of witchcraft –OR– read a book with ivy or roses on the cover, or a character’s name/title of book is/has Rose or Ivy in it.

My plan for this one is to read The Dire King by William Ritter, which involves witchcraft & magic.

Tasks for Calan Gaeaf: If you’re superstition-proof, inscribe your name on a rock, toss it in a fire and take a picture to post –OR– Make a cozy wintertime dish involving leeks (the national plant of Wales) and post the recipe and pictures with your thoughts about how it turned out.

I am either going to do the toss the rock in the fire thing, or I am going to make potato leek soup. Not sure which!

Square 2: November 5th:
Guy Fawkes Night (Bonfire Night/Fireworks Night) / Bon Om Touk (Cambodian Water Festival).

Tasks for Bon Om Touk: Post a picture from your most recent or favorite vacation on the sea (or a lake, river, or any other body of water larger than a puddle), or if you're living on the sea or on a lake or a river, post a picture of your favorite spot on the shore / banks / beach / at the nearest harbour.

I have a house rented at the Oregon coast between Christmas and New Year, so I'll be posting a picture from that vacation to fill this task!

Square 3: November 11th:
St. Martin’s Day (5th) / Veterans’ Day / Armistice Day (11th)

Book themes for St. Martin’s Day: Read a book set on a vineyard, or in a rural setting, –OR– a story where the MC searches for/gets a new job. –OR– A book with a lantern on the cover, or books set before the age of electricity. –OR– A story dealing with an act of selfless generosity (like St. Martin sharing his cloak with a beggar).

For this one, I am going to reread The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett - this is one of my favorite books, and there is a scene in it that reduces me to tears every time I read it, when Sara finds a sixpence, uses it to buy buns because she is so hungry, and then she gives them away to an even hungrier, poorer little girl.

Tasks for St. Martin’s Day: Write a Mother Goose-style rhyme or a limerick; the funnier the better. –OR– Take a picture of the book you’re currently reading, next to a glass of wine, or the drink of your choice, with or without a fire in the background. –OR– Bake a Weckmann; if you’re not a dab hand with yeast baking, make a batch of gingerbread men, or something else that’s typical of this time of the year where you live. Post pics of the results and the recipe if you’d like to share it.

I am going to bake a gingerbread cake, and serve it with whipped cream, and it shall be glorious.

Square 4: November 22nd and 23rd (COMPLETED):
Penance Day (22nd) / Thanksgiving (23rd)

Book themes for Penance Day: Read a book that has a monk, nun, pastor / preacher, priest or other representative of the organized church as a protagonist, or where someone is struggling with feelings of guilt or with their conscience (regardless over what).

This is going to have to be a Brother Cadfael - I am on book 9, Dead Man's Ransom.

Square 5: December 3rd and following 3 Sundays:
Advent

Advent is a season observed in many Christian churches as a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas.

Book themes for Advent: Read a book with a wreath or with pines or fir trees on the cover –OR– Read the 4th book from a favorite series, or a book featuring 4 siblings.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a lifelong favorite of mine, which features 4 siblings, so I am strongly considering re-reading it.

Square 6: December 5th-6th and 8th:
Sinterklaas / Krampusnacht (5th) / St. Nicholas Day (6th) / Bodhi Day (8th)

Tasks for Sinterklaas / St. Martin’s Day / Krampusnacht: Write a witty or humorous poem to St. Nicholas –OR– If you have kids, leave coins or treats, like tangerines, walnuts, chocolate(s) and cookies [more common in Germany] in their shoes to find the next morning and then post about their reactions/bewilderment.  ;)  If you don’t have kids, do the same for another family member / loved one or a friend.

I know exactly what I am going to do for this task! My daughter left a pair of shoes at home when she headed back to college, so I am going to fill them with coins, treats, nuts and chocolates and ship them to her to arrive on 12/6 with a card that explains the origins of Sinterklaas! I will do the same thing for my son, at home! I will post pictures, because this is going to be really fun!

Square 7: December 10th & 13th:
International Human Rights Day (10th) / St. Lucia’s Day (13th)

Square 8: December 12th - 24th:
Hanukkah (begins 12th, ends 20th) Las Posadas (begins 16th, ends 24th)

Square 9: December 21st:
Winter Solstice / Mōdraniht / Yuletide / Yaldā Night

Square 10: December 21st:
World Peace Day / Pancha Ganapati begins (ends 25th)

Square 11: December 21st-22nd:
Soyal (21st) / Dōngzhì Festival (22nd) (China)

Square 12: December 23rd
Festivus / Saturnalia ends (begins 17th)

Square 13: December 25th
Christmas / Hogswatch

Square 14: December 25th
Dies Natalis Solis Invicti / Quaid-e-Azam’s Day

Square 15: December 25th-26th:
Newtonmas (25th) / St. Stephen's Day/Boxing Day (26th)

Square 16: December 26th-31st:
Kwanzaa (begins 26th, ends 31st) / New Year’s Eve / Hogmanay / St. Sylvester’s Day / Watch Night