moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Reading progress update: I've read 46%.

Greygallows - Barbara Michaels

I am hoping that this one will work for Haunted Houses, otherwise I will use it for my second card! It's not very ghosty so far, but with a title like "Greygallows," there is probably still time!

This is a historical gothic by Barbara Michaels, and I'm pretty sure that it is the first one I've read in recent memory. It's set during the early Victorian era, and is quite reminiscent of Victoria Holt, whose gothics are mostly historical.

At this point, the main character, heiress Lucy Cartwright, is annoyingly docile. She had one spark of independence that was easily squashed, and became even more compliant at that point, which I didn't necessarily think was possible. She'd better buck up soon, because someone is probably trying to kill her.