moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

A Study In Scarlet

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection -  Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

I decided to listen to this audiobook narration, since I'd been hearing such fabulous things about it from BrokenTune!

I started with A Study In Scarlet, which is neither my favorite nor my least favorite of the Holmes canon. I ultimately ended up enjoying it more than usual, largely because of the narration. Fry's Holmes & Watson are both extraordinarily well-done. I'm not entirely sure about his rendering of Lucy Ferrier, a young American girl, but it was adequate.

After finishing A Study In Scarlet, I decided to skip The Sign of the Four and go straight into The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, beginning with A Scandal in Bohemia. I plan to loop back and pick up The Sign of the Four at some point later, probably after I finish Adventures. While I'm not usually a short story fan, I actually think that I prefer to Holmes short stories to the full length treatments, with the exception of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

I'm going to use A Study in Scarlet to fill Amateur Sleuth, because it would piss off Holmes mightily if he knew. And this amuses me.