moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Why I Love Halloween Bingo!

Reblogged from Lora's Rants and Reviews :

1. I love everything Halloween. As soon as the bats and pumpkins come out, my inner Goth emerges for the season.

2. It inspires me to read my book backlog! Since I like supernatural or monster stories, I do tend to acquire books that would fit Halloween Bingo squares. Giving me two months to read 25 of them makes me prioritise them and find more time to read!

3. I've read more Classics. I've been attempting to read Classics interspersed with more recent books in general, but Classic Horror like Dracula, The Invisible Man, etc. sat around on my tbr until last year's Halloween Bingo. Now I've read enough of them that I had to make a special effort to find one I hadn't read yet!

4. Comraderie. It's fun to compare book choices with others playing and to make new friends in the process!

5. Book recommendations. Watching others choose their books and reading their reviews after leads me to some good reads!

6. The cards are so pretty! Seriously, the effort our hostesses go to for these results in some attractive Bingo cards!

7. Markers creativity. While our hostesses are expressing their creativity on the cards, the participants are inspired to seek out interesting markers, even more so with this years calls.

8. Buddy reads. Funnelling our reading into Horror/Mystery means more people looking at the same books and buddy reads can happen, either officially through the discussion group or individually by agreement.

9. Most of all, having a challenge going gives me an excuse to get out of doing things that take me away from my reading, so I get more done! Just for a couple of months. Then I get r/l social again. ;)