moonlightreader

Caleb Carr
Progress: 38/498 pages

Ghost story!

The Looking-Glass Portrait - Linda Hilton

This was a fun romantic suspense/gothic romance novel by our own Linda Hilton!

Things I liked:

The writing is impeccable, and the book is edited to a "t." The setting of the book is quite modern, but it definitely shares some of its elements with the old-fashioned gothics from the 1960's & 1970's. Tamsin, our heroine, is likeable, and her return to her old hometown proves the old saying "you can't go home again."

Things that I struggled with:

The pacing drags a little bit in the middle. There is quite a lot of character development, but sometimes that seemed to bog the story down a bit. Tamsin's stubborn insistence on remaining in the house regardless of the danger seemed foolish at times, although it was necessary to move the story forward. The romance felt a little bit insta-love/abrupt to me, even thought it was a rekindling of an old flame.

The ending:

The ending was great. I don't want to accidentally spoil, because the mystery is really well-plotted and the solution, while it doesn't come out of left field, was neatly done.

This one works for: ghost, haunted house, romantic suspense, & gothic. I would recommend it to fans of old-fashioned romance, especially fans of gothic romance like that written by Barbara Michaels. If you enjoyed last year's bingo buddy read of Ammie, Come Home, I think you would like this one!