moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

My first filled square!

Behold, Here's Poison - Georgette Heyer

I had been sort of planning to use this one for the free square, but since OBD called
"cozy mystery" this morning, and nothing could be cozier than this mystery, I can't resist actually filling a square!

I do prefer Heyer's regency romances to her mysteries. This one was more enjoyable than the other two that I've read, though, and reminded me a lot of an Agatha Christie. It's a solid three stars, with many of the usual cozy tropes.

The characters all initially appear to be the typical poisonous, grasping types that we see in this style of mystery. Ultimately, at least Stella and Randall end up having more there than meets the eye. There was a point in the book where I made the note "wanker" next to some of Randall's dialogue. By the end of the book, he had grown on me considerably.

And, as is often the case, the "victim" in this case ends up to be the worst of the lot.