moonlightreader

Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry
The Alienist
Caleb Carr
Progress: 38/498 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 80%.

The Bride Wore Black - Cornell Woolrich

I started this last night as my head start book for Halloween bingo and now I've totally screwed myself!

I can't finish it if I want it to count! But I want to knoooowwwww what the hell is going on this book. It's brilliant.

There are five sections. Each section has three chapters. The first is called Woman, and describes the murder for that section. The second is the name of the victim. And the third discusses the investigation.

The woman is killing men, and making it look like an accident. What is the connection between the men? Why is she murdering them? What the hell is happening here?

The plot is simple. The prose is stripped down noir, with all of the urban, nocturnal elements that I expect from this kind of a mystery.

Can Cornell Woolrich sustain this to the end? I don't know, and I can't find out until TOMORROW.